I like that! There’s so much stress spread by people who act in a disagreeable way. You don’t have to be one of them. In fact, let’s agree to stop that nasty virus right now.
When you are stressed out, it’s easy to lose track of the way you want to act, and simply “react” when your buttons are pushed. Somebody says something rude to you, or something you disagree with, and you snap back at them.
Instead of being disagreeable just because you disagree, here are 5 quick ways to be the nice guy/gal you know you want to be:
- Take a deep breath and smile.
- Calmly say, “Hey, I just don’t agree with that.”
- If you’ve got something else to add, speak your opinion such as “I feel that…” rather than the more confrontive type of statement which goes “I think you’re wrong! I think…” Stick to your own feelings.
- Many times you’ll realize that there’s no getting around the fact that both of you are firmly entrenched in opposing ideas. The simple solution is that well-tested concept of saying politely and as nicely as you can, “Looks like we’d be better off if we agree to disagree on this issue.”
- Try to find a common ground that you can agree on. Don’t feel the need to spread animosity just because you are feeling cranky. If you need to tell someone that they gave you the wrong order at the restaurant, you don’t have to make a big deal about it and be a disagreeable old jerk. Remember that everyone you come in contact with each day in your life is the opportunity to find love and be love. I don’t mean start searching for your soul mate or a hot romance. The kind of love that runs the universe. Be part of it, or you’ll perish in your disagreeableness — plenty of people complain, gripe and are nasty to be around. Watch out that you don’t catch the bug and become one of them.
your happiness guru,
PS Don’t forget my book launch on Sat 9/11 — buy my new book and I will donate 50% of author proceeds that day to the National 9/11 memorial in NYC. Get details at gethappytoday.com