When you battle overwhelming stress each day, it’s simply exhausting. And yet you might feel that you have no choice. You’re just coping with the “stuff” that life keeps throwing at you.
Here are six quick tips to get you started on a more positive path of wellness and happiness:
- Start using a sticky note to jot down the THREE most important things you must do today. I explain this method further in my stress management book, “Forget Your Troubles: Enjoy Your Life Today” — stop carrying around a massive “To Do” list that makes you feel guilty, burdened and overwhelmed with all that is on your plate. Reduce it to the most urgent things that you can work on today.
- Begin each day with a prayer — ask for guidance and assistance to carry out your tasks the best way possible for all concerned.
- During the day, give yourself frequent time-outs to notice your surroundings and appreciate the beauty in your life. If you can’t find anything beautiful to admire, get out and go for a walk in the nearest park or florist shop. Look at the flowers. Study a tree for five minutes, and lift yourself up to the highest branch — imagine looking around from that high perch and feeling in charge of your life.
- Give yourself a special treat. If you’re short on funds, make it something free such as checking out an armload of great books at the library. Or buy yourself a new plant for your desk. Select a luscious piece of tropical fruit at the market and cut into it — enjoy the fragrance, taste and texture. Learn to SAVOR life instead of just enduring it!
- Tell someone that you love them. The “someone” can be a family member, a friend, a pet, or a neighbor. This even works with a stranger. You can say to the checkout clerk: “I love that shirt on you — you look great today!” That is a loving message that connects you to other people (without being creepy).
- Remind yourself that if you are feeling discouraged, it only means you have temporarily lost faith in your ability to cope. You can do this!
For more help on relieving your stress, go here to download the e-book of “Forget Your Troubles” — it costs under ten bucks and you’ll have instant access to help you change from frazzled to fantastic!
Your happiness guru,