I periodically check the spam contents at my blogs to be sure that legitimate comments didn’t inadvertently land there. Looking at the spam never fails to get me thinking, and so here are the 10 reasons why you should love getting spam comments at your own blog:
- It shows that Google knows your blog is live
- You get a good laugh at the inappropriate comments, strange grammar and odd greetings (I’ll share some of those tomorrow)
- It relieves stress to read over some comments and see that you are not the only one who is sometimes a bit desperate to get a trackback
- It makes you feel grateful you are not the one who paid a virtual assistant in another country to post comments on your behalf
- You get a good lesson in how NOT to leave comments at blogs and other sites
- You can appreciate the nuances of the English language that native speakers take for granted, and ESL people often miss completely in their effort to sound like your new best friend
- You feel that at least you did get 59 comments that week, even if all were blatantly self-promoting — hey, writing is a lonely business and even bad company can feel better than nothin’
- You are reminded that it’s been a while since you left a good comment at someone else’s blog so you quickly go visit blogs of 3 friends and leave them a nice message – turn the lemon of spam comments into lemonade for people you do like and admire!
- You can analyze if certain posts get more spam comments than others, and see what keywords you used – the info may help you craft even better blog posts to broaden your audience reach
- You realize that you have arrived as a resident of the world wide web and that search engines will continue to send visitors your way as long as you keep pumping out the content and making it keyword rich
Instead of feeling stressed by all the spam comments, look on the bright side and realize it’s just part of doing business online and being a BLOGGER!!!
your happiness guru,